with 2 comments
Keeping yourself satiated throughout the day is one surefire key to focusing. You can’t really focus if you can’t think, and you can’t think unless you’re constantly replenishing your brain fuel. Snacking in-between regular meals is one of the best ways to do this.
With snacks you’re able to maintain “normal” eating times for social purposes (although it’s recommended you eat smaller meals rather than “typical” portions). But by supplementing with simple snacks, you keep yourself from getting hungry between meals which has a number of benefits: 1) you’re less inclined to eat a stack of donuts out of desperation, 2) you keep your blood sugar level steady which leads to an enhanced mood and stronger focus, and 3) your metabolism will have a higher steady state which can lead to accelerated fat loss. What’s not to love about this?
In other words: eating just 2-3x daily is for losers. You need to eat more often. And the easiest way to do this is to snack, snack, snack. Keeping your snacks small and simple to prep is also key, which is why Greek yogurt, almonds, and green tea is so great – and string cheese and an apple are as well.
Apples are great for a quick dose of fiber, antioxidants, and steady-state carbohydrates (carbs that don’t cause a blood sugar spike). Coupling an apple with low-fat string cheese gives you some additional protein and fat which can help curb your appetite for a while. If you’re someone with already low bodyfat % who needs a little more to keep you satisfied, this meal is also scalable. Eat a bigger apple (some apples can be absolutely HUGE) or have two pieces of string cheese instead of a single one.
How I use this: I alternate my snacks between this one and Greek yogurt, almonds, and green tea. My current eating schedule looks something like this:
- After waking (7am): Metabolic Drive Complete with a small banana + fish oil and a FiberChoice chewable
- Hour later (8am): Short non-fat organic cappuccino (a treat that I can’t resist)
- Mid-morning (10am): Low-fat string cheese and an apple with 32oz water
- Lunch (12pm): Chicken stir-fry with vegetables or grilled chicken sandwich with fruit with 16oz water
- Mid-afternoon (3:30pm): Greek yogurt, almonds, and green tea (or Metabolic Drive bar)
- Dinner (7pm): Varies day-to-day + more water + fish oil capsules and a FiberChoice chewable
Smart snacking is key to overall health and vitality. I dare say you can’t focus effectively unless you’re maintaining your snack schedule. Questions or thoughts? Let me know!